Published on 09/06/2011
Updated on 15/01/2019
REPEALED AND REPLACED BY THE SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT RULES 2016
MSW, also called as Municipal Solid Waste designed the rules in the year 1999 on the notification given by the ministry of environment and forests. This was done to handle as well as manage the solid waste in the right manner. The rules are based on the section 3, 6 and 25.
These rules are formed so that the industries do not let out waste in busy areas and at the same everything is smooth. The notification about the MSW rules was given by the Central government in the year 2000 and this is the reason why the draft is called as MSW rules 2000.
Most of the rules pertain to municipality who will take care of their respective areas only then it is possible that cleanliness as well as hygiene can be maintained. Annual reports are prepared which deal with the progress report and the amount of work which is done in the entire year. This will be an incredible step as progress can be monitored from time to time.
In this article we will discuss the rules of MSW laid down by the regulatory body. These are given below:-
- The very first rule is the basic concept of the framework which deals with the activities of collecting, transferring and string the municipal solid waste. The best part of this framework is that it complements the rules of biomedical waste rules of 1998 along with the hazardous waste rules of 1989. The main reason for the formation of the rules is to start a procedure for dealing with the solid e-waste. The responsibilities which are concerned have to be furnished well. But the rules were kept under revision and then they were applied from the year 2006.
- It is the duty of the municipality to take care that centers are set up for handling the solid e-waste. The municipality has to render the most excellent infrastructure facilities which will help in right disposal of the e-waste. The municipality corporation has to take care of the people by maintaining hygiene in the society. The appropriate processing is very necessary and hence keeping in mind the health prospective becomes important.
- The rules are also related to the collection stage which is very crucial. The municipal has set up an efficient system through which the waste is collected from door to door. Waste is also collected from the fish market, vegetable market as well as other areas so that the objective is met. Even horticulture waste comes under this category and therefore norms are based on the state laws.
Stress on Treatment of e-waste
- The next rule is based on the treatment of the solid e-waste. The use of the latest technology is the advantage which can be availed to minimize the effect of e-waste. The treatment can include the composition as well as the anaerobic digestion.
Disposal of e-waste
- Disposal is another section of the rules which state that the waste can be filled in the land. But this is only concerning the waste which cannot be recycled in any way. If the waste is biodegradable then it can be filled in the open lands as it is against the rules. Even the mixture of waste and water is not permitted in any case and if there is any issue the municipality will take strict action against the organization or the concerned individual.
- Because of the strict rules of disposal there are many lands which are going through controversies. A similar example can be seen in Surat where the municipality is not granting the permission to any power plant in that area. Even the Gujarat state pollution board is not granting the permission due to which the land has not been used for any work since 3 years. If any decision is not taken the land will be ceased by the government and can be utilized in any way it wants.
- The rules ask the industries and organizations to plan where the solid e-waste has to be disposed and how it will be carried to the site. The site has to be decided beforehand so that there are no issues later. If proper planning is done it will be simple for the industries to follow the rules. In this process the infrastructure facilities play an essential role because if sites are not designated the people will be unaware about the disposal places. On the other hand mitigation measures are also very important and will give excellent results.
- Though the waste will be collected outside the city but still the bad odour will definitely affect the nearby places. For this purpose landfill collection gas system is set up for the safety needs and at the same making the air fresh. Even in case of power generation it is necessary that such systems are installed for maintain the quality of the air. Most of the pollution and diseases occur because of the fact that waste is left open and no action is taken for it. The municipality has to be aware of such things in order to make things better.
- According to schedule 4 it is said that the e-waste which is rotten should be enclosed in an area and cover it so that no harmful gases come from it. This will become the cause of many diseases and also increase the pollution. It is vital to take precautions or else animals will drag the waste to different places thus making the place dirty. The waste should not be left open in any case and strict measures have to taken to minimize the issues. The municipality can take help of the technology to devise new strategies and purposeful designs.
Even if the waste is recycled it is necessary that it meets the standards which are mentioned in the rules or the state laws which are followed.
In the end it can be said that these rules have really made a difference as the authority has become more aware about the current needs of the people and takes extensive measures to resolve them.
Both the state as well as central government has taken the initiative to work for the welfare of the people and looking for a clean India.